Essay writing is usually not on the top anyone’s variety of favorite activities to do. It may be difficult to put applying for grants paper, prove a spot, or create a coherent flow of ideas. Essay writing is even more challenging with regards to needs to be done in a language which is not your very own. As a result, it is crucial for English as a second language (ESL) teachers to incorporate numerous examples, activities, and helpful strategies through the essay writing process so students have the ability to navigate through any struggles which could arise. This lesson will give you several activities that ESL teachers can practice with their students.
The first thing you will need to do is make sure your ESL students know how an essay should really be structured. Generally, it’s always best to introduce students into the traditional essay structure that is 5-paragraph
- 1st Paragraph: The introduction, which lets readers understand what the essay shall be about.
- 2nd-4th Paragraphs: the human body paragraphs, which provide arguments and evidence to support the point that is main of essay.
- 5th Paragraph: the final outcome, which summarizes your body paragraphs and reiterates the main point of this essay.
Keeping a visual with this structure will allow students to look at whole picture so they really are aware of what they’re working towards while writing an essay. It can be very challenging for ESL students to place their thoughts in an effort; therefore, it’s important to introduce activities and strategies which will help result in the writing process easier.
Essay activities that are writing
The following activities can be properly used when you look at the ESL classroom to greatly help students better understand the essay writing process. Make changes as required to match students that are best’ English and writing ability.
Hamburger Essay Builder
This is a organizer that is graphic or piece-by-piece project, to greatly help students better understand the structure of an essay.
Get access risk-free for 1 month,
just create an account.
No obligation, cancel anytime.
Select an interest to preview related courses:
- Give students an image that is outline of hamburger
- Provide label sections for each for the hamburger parts (top bun, tomato, lettuce, meat, bottom bun)
- Have students label each right area of the hamburger to represent every part of the essay (introduction, body paragraphs, and conclusion).
- Provide students with cut outs shaped like all the hamburger parts.
- Have students write out the description for every of this corresponding essay parts on their buns, lettuce, tomato, and meat.
- When finished, have students assemble their hamburger that is essay to as reference once they begin writing their first essays.
Use this fun activity to possess students practice their writing skills as they race from the clock. The item of the activity is always to have students focus more on getting words in writing, and less on worrying all about punctuation, grammar, and spelling. Be sure they know errors will not count. The target is to write whenever possible within the time limit so that they can observe how much that amount will increase every time the game is finished in class.
- Provide a list of interesting topics students can choose from (favorite hobby, childhood memory, future goals, embarrassing story, family tradition).
- Tell students they shall write for a designated amount of time (2-5 minutes depending upon the age/language level) without stopping.
- When completed, allow students to see their writing aloud, or perhaps in pairs, so they can enjoy each other’s work.
It is a great method to help use the pressure far from ESL students when it comes to writing. Be encouraging while making certain to help keep the experience lighthearted and fun.
Creative Writing Activities
Have students practice their writing skills by incorporating mini writing that is creative into your day to day routine. Allowing students to create from a number of angles may help them feel much more comfortable making use of the English language in written https://ninjaessays.info form.
- Use writing prompts that will spark students’ interests by having them write about their favorite sport, movie, book, hobby, vacation, or holiday.
- Have students write a sequence piece explaining simple tips to make a move they are proficient at (cooking a meal, scoring a soccer goal, writing a blog post).
- Ask students a viewpoint question; for example: Would you rather cut costs or spend it on a holiday? Do you believe it is important to accomplish homework? Ask them to write out their answer, along side an explanation for the answer.
- Pose the relevant question, ”What could you do if. ” and add in numerous scenarios. As an example, ”What can you do if you got lost in a big city? What would you do if you won a million dollars?” Have students write down their responses to made within the scenarios.
Help students identify grammar that is common punctuation, and spelling errors, which will have popped up inside their creative writing pieces by having them operate in pairs to edit each other’s work. Emphasizing this step that is important help develop your ESL students’ self-editing skills.
Argumentative Essay Debates
To make the process for writing an argumentative essay easier, hold debates in class to demonstrate students how exactly to collect supportive evidence, examples, and details before they begin writing. Make note of the latest vocabulary, concepts, and ideas on the board so students can better comprehend the pieces that are key use in this essay style.
- Divide your class into two groups.
- Introduce a debatable topic that students should be able to understand.
- Write out a few higher-order questions for each group to go over.
- Ask the questions aloud; allow the debate start out with moderation and extra higher-ordering questioning.
- Have students take notes regarding the discussed points that are main examples, support, and oppositions to their region of the argument.
As soon as the debate is complete, look at ways for students to prepare these records into a plan so that it are able to be used to form a solid argumentative essay.