When looking for an operations manager job, you need to make sure that you find an operations manager job descriptionﾯﾾﾾﾂﾯﾾﾾﾾﾠthat accurately details the core tasks and responsibilities of the role. The main purpose of an operations manager is to improve efficiency, improve productivity, and plan and direct operations. This is true regardless of the type of organization or industry that the operations manager job is in.
Remember that an operations manager is a broad role, thus the specific responsibilities are going to be different between different companies. However, generally it will include analyzing and monitoring the current system of provision or production to ensure that it is effective. By reading and writing reports, analyzing statistics, and managing day-to-day activities, operations managers play a vital role in any company.
By giving you a decent overview of the operations manager job description, you not only know what skills that you should possess (or develop) in order to be an interesting choice, but it also helps you avoid applying for roles that have a faulty representation of your job responsibilities.
The required key competencies
There are several required key competencies that you might find in an operations manager job description. These are not only important to help you establish whether you are a good fit for the position, but they will also give you an idea of what information you should include in a possible cover letter/resume:
- Tolerance to stress
- Conflict management
- Team work
- Influencing and leading
- Communication skills
- Decision-making ability
- Planning and organizing
- Critical thinking / problem solving skills
The main job tasks and responsibilities
Keep in mind that these are just basic overviews of the tasks and responsibilities that you might encounter in an operations manager job description.
- Supervisionﾯﾾﾾﾂﾯﾾﾾﾾﾠ and coordination ﾯﾾﾾﾢﾯﾾﾾﾾﾀﾯﾾﾾﾾﾓ Coordinate, manage, and monitor many of the workings of a number of different departments in the organization
- Financial ﾯﾾﾾﾢﾯﾾﾾﾾﾀﾯﾾﾾﾾﾓ Review financial data and financial statements. Improve profitability by fully utilizing the available financial data. Control and prepare operational budgets. Plan and oversee the development and implementation to safeguard the financial wellbeing of theﾯﾾﾾﾂﾯﾾﾾﾾﾠcompany. Control inventory.
- Strategic inputﾯﾾﾾﾂﾯﾾﾾﾾﾠﾯﾾﾾﾢﾯﾾﾾﾾﾀﾯﾾﾾﾾﾓ Work with upper management and assist in developing strategic plans to provide operational activity for the company. Design, implement, and manage said operational plans.
- Sales, marketing and customer serviceﾯﾾﾾﾂﾯﾾﾾﾾﾠﾯﾾﾾﾢﾯﾾﾾﾾﾀﾯﾾﾾﾾﾓ Support marketing activities, support sales, manage customer support.
- Production ﾯﾾﾾﾢﾯﾾﾾﾾﾀﾯﾾﾾﾾﾓ Coordinate and monitor the work of the different departments that are involved in the production, the warehousing, the pricing, and the distribution of the produced goods. Implement improvements and monitor performance. Safeguard and improve employee productivity by managing quality and quantity. Provide technical support where necessary. Manage the maintenance of machinery and equipment.
- Communication ﾯﾾﾾﾢﾯﾾﾾﾾﾀﾯﾾﾾﾾﾓ Manage, monitor, and improve the communication efficiency of support services such as finance, accounts, and HR. Help facilitate coordination and communication between the different support functions.
- Human resources ﾯﾾﾾﾢﾯﾾﾾﾾﾀﾯﾾﾾﾾﾓ Plan and optimize the use of human resources. Organize the placement and recruitment of necessary staff members. Monitor and evaluate performance, provide supervision to staff, establish work schedules, delegate tasks and accountabilities, and establish organizational structures.
- Best practices ﾯﾾﾾﾢﾯﾾﾾﾾﾀﾯﾾﾾﾾﾓ Monitor adherence to rules, regulations, andﾯﾾﾾﾂﾯﾾﾾﾾﾠprocedures. Help maximize output by formulating and implementing departmental and organizational policies and procedures. Improve processes and policies in support of organizational goals.
Some operations manager job descriptions are going to be a little different from others. You might find that specific jobs have less or more responsibilities, depending on the company that you are applying with. By giving you this necessary information, you are able to position yourself in such a way that you become a more interesting option for potential employees.
To learn more about a career in operations management and what really happens in that field, see ﾯﾾﾾﾢﾯﾾﾾﾾﾀﾯﾾﾾﾾﾜInterviews with Masters of Operations Managementﾯﾾﾾﾢﾯﾾﾾﾾﾀﾯﾾﾾﾾﾝ